Quirigua Ruins & Rio Dulce Canyon
We'll enjoy a scenic cruise through the picturesque waterways of the Rio Dulce and visit Quirigua National Park for a walking tour of the Mayan city that once ruled the region. We departed from the pier by boat or by bus for a journey to experience major attractions of Eastern Guatemala and return by the alternate form of transportation.
We will depart by bus from the Santo Tomas Port and drive to enjoy the ancient culture of the Maya Ruins during this excursion to Quiriguá, the ruins which include the largest known quarried stone in the Maya world, and which exhibit the best artistic style and technique. On your way to the site, enjoy the scenic drive through Guatemala's Caribbean coast, including driving through a banana plantation.
Then we leave from Quirigua to Rio Dulce to meet the San Felipe of Lara Castle, a monument currently managed by the Guatemalan Tourism Institute (INGUAT), is a representative sample of Rio Dulce National Park's colonial time. It is located on the outlet of Lake Izabal, which was known as Golfo Dulce (Lake Izabal-Rio Dulce system) in the Hispanic period and was built in 1652, in honor of King Philip II of Spain.
Later, we will cross the majestic Cañón de Rio Dulce where we will visit the Hanging Gardens, after Hot Water (thermal), the Garden Lagoon and Bird Island. Then, you'll go on to the Garifunas village of Livingston, where there are four different ethnic groups, Garifunas, Maya Queqchis, Hindu's and Latin's peacefully live together.
Then, we'll take a rest in a typical restaurant in where if you want you can buy a delicious food from the town.
Soon, we will go of return to Santo Tomas by boat to be in time in your ship.
|Duración:||7 1/2 Hours|
|Includes:||Roundtrip transportation the puerto , tour guide, entrance, Food.|
|Private Price:||We offer the possibility to make this tour PRIVATE (Boat & Guide) for an additional fee of 30% of the regular rate and with a minimum of 7 participants.|
- Complementary soft drinks or bottled water are served during the tour.
- Round trip transport between the ship and attractions.
- The meeting point is inside the pier. Happy Fish Travel have a special permission. Our guides are located close to the main gangway, just behind the security stand (scanner).
- Our guides will be at pier with a sign and the name of the tour on it.
- This tour has been designated an adventure tour.
- All tour guides are bi-lingual English – Spanish. For other languages please make the request in advance.
- During this tour, in some places there is no shade, pax should bring sunscream, a hat, sunglases, etc.
- During the rainy season, Sep- Nov, pax should expect some rain. Pax should bring a raincoat.
- Happy Fish Travel suggests pax to bring mosquito spray for beach and rain forest tours.
- Boats and tour guide are equipped with First-Aid Kit in case of accidents.
- Pax should wear comfortable shoes.
- Pax should be advised to bring a backpack to store cameras, film, sunscream and any other belongings for easy travel.
- This tour is designed for active people that enjoy exercise and the great outdoors.
- 30 minutes in a tour boat sailing Amatique Bay.
- 30 minutes of a walkin tour visit the town of Livingston.
- 1 hour 30 minutes by boat crossing the Rio Dulce Canyon, visiting the attractions to the village of Rio Dulce.
- 1 hour for lunch in one of the best restaurants in the area.
- 1 hour 15 minutes by bus to Quirigua
- 1 hour 30 minutes drive to the ruins of Quirigua.
- 1 hour 15 minute bus ride back to port.